Explore: Virtual Trips
Armchair Travel Series
Our Armchair Travel section will help you explore the world with out having to buy a plane ticket.
This month we are making an evocative visit to Vietnam. Many Vietnam veterans are able to obtain some “closure” by placing the events of the past in today’s context. We hope these videos of the people, places and cuisine of Vietnam do just that. Currently, tourism is an important element of Vietnam’s economic activity, contributing 8.5% of the total GDP. Vietnam hosted roughly 17 million tourists in 2022, making it one of the fastest growing tourist destinations in the world.
Ha Long Bay: Vietnam's Paradise
by Alexander Travelbum
Ha Long Bay is Vietnam's paradise. It's the number one
tourist destination in the country and it is stunningly
beautiful. If you do travel to Vietnam, this has to be on your
list of places to experience. Ha Long Bay is littered with
hundreds of limestone islands that form a landscape
unparalleled in its beauty and uniqueness. You will want to
take a boat tour to see all these islets and islands scattered
across the ocean. Many of these land forms are hollow and
make for interesting cave hikes. Also, a bonus: Found the
absolute best spot in Ha Long Bay to take a photo of an
amazing view. The place is called Poem Mountain, and we
take you there. Just watch.
Best Places in Vietnam in 2023
By Paddy Doyle
Paddy traveled for two months from the very top of Vietnam to the southern part of the country. Along the way he sees some incredible things and has unforgettable experiences. This film highlights the very best places to visit in Vietnam. If you aspire to one day visit this beautiful country, you’ll want to grab your notebook and begin making plans. Bonus if you want to tour the country by motorbike as this video is a great way to “motorbike” without having to rent a scooter.
Vietnam Street Food - Ultimate Pho Tour!
By Mark Wiens
Welcome to Hanoi, Vietnam, the capital of the most well known Vietnamese food around the world, Pho! Today Mark is with a friend from @Hanoifood and they will take you on an unforgettable pho tour. They will be eating at 5 of the best pho restaurants and stalls in Hanoi, and sharing with you the history of how pho came about and how it took over the world as the most famous of all Vietnamese food. Join us for a Pho lunch on 10/19.
Hanoi French Quarter - Vietnam Walking Tour
By 3H Vision
Hanoi's French Quarter is spread across 2 districts: Ba Đình and Hoàn Kiếm. The major administrative area and busy commercial hub in the center of Hanoi. As its name suggests, this area contains many historic attractions. The district maintains many buildings influenced by French
colonial architecture. In this video, we will discover the Hoàn Kiếm area, located next to Hoàn Kiếm Lake and the Old Quarter.
Mt. Si Senior Trips:
During Covid, our beloved bus took a turn for the worse. We are now trying to find grants to help us purchase a 14-seater trip bus. It's definitely disappointing for all of us. But we will figure it out, like we always do!
MSSC TRIP POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
- Trips must be paid when the reservation is made. We accept cash or checks. We do not accept phone reservations. Sign-up may start early for certain trips, check the trip description at our front desk.
- You may register yourself and other people for any trip. Fees are based on the membership status of each person. All trip fees are due at time of sign-up.
- MSSC members receive preferential rates on trip fees.
- Trip participants are required to provide emergency contact info along with medical information. Forms are sent with the escort so we can act effectively on your behalf in case of an emergency.
- Refunds and credits are not given if the participant cancels their reservation.
- Refunds or credits will be issued if MSSC cancels a trip due to the trip not meeting the minimum number of participants or because of severe weather. Extended trip cancellations may vary. See Program Coordinator.
- Arrive 20 minutes early. We cannot accommodate late arrivals.
- On center trips, center transportation must be taken in both directions. We leave and return as a group.
- SVT can provide transportation to and from MSSC. Please make arrangements through the SVT office.
- Each trip destination may vary in handicapped accessibility and ease of mobility. Participants needing special care are required to bring a chaperone (who must also pay the trip fee). See Program Coordinator.